Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
silloyd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Newbie quetions

Post by silloyd »

Being new to mog ownership (1971 Traveller with 1098 engine) I have a few questions that I can't find answers to elsewhere, so I need the collective MMOC wisdom to help me please:

1. My Heater switch/valve is stuck open and whilst the operating cable lever appear to be moving freely, I can't turn the heater off!! Is this valve repairable, e.g. by inserting a new washer, or is it a sealed unit that can only be replaced?

2. The car is going in to a garage for some body (and other) work and I want to get rear seat belt anchor points added, so that I can fit the children in the back safely. I have looked at the Securon web site (seemingly the only after market seat belt provider) and they recommend the '254' model. However, I've read elsewhere that these can be a little short for the Traveller because the rear point goes on the top of the wheel arch. So, has anyone used a different model, such as the '264' as a longer alternative?

3. My car is 'Teal' blue and correspondingly has lovely 'Limeflower' upholstery. Unfortunately both front seat bases have tears in them but I can't find anyone that manufactures replacements in this colour (apparently it wasn't popular - can't think why!!). Before I start on a replacing the entire interior with a different colour, which I'd rather not do due to the fact that everything else is sound, does anyone know if/where I can get replacement Limeflower seat base covers please?

Thank you in anticipation!!! :D
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Hi, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Minor Ownership.

1) Sealed unit. The usual fault is that the cable is not anchored properly to the valve body, so it's the outer sheath moving rather than the inner cable. If that is OK, then you might get lucky by soaking the valve in vinegar for a few hours and then blowing down it to get the washer part moving; but it's also likely that the seal will dissolve and then start leaking. Best idea is to fit a new valve. See other threads on the subject of valve quality. As long as you're a member of the MMOC, go for the old stock valves available from club spares. If you're not a member, then please join, it's excellent value.

2. Standard belts are too short. The longer belts work much better. I can't remember the exact model number, but I used them on both my Travellers.

3. New Limeflower is not available, and you won't get anyone to make it. I used to work on the site where the original material was made, and whilst I could get some things done, the manufacturing process is such that short runs are just not possible. You would need to order about two tonnes of material to stand any chance of getting it into production. I used "Biscuit" (a fawn colour) instead of limeflower, and it looks, IMO, very nice with the Teal Blue. You can order all matching trim components from Newton Commercial; and finish off with a brown carpet.

How about a small world - I use two Teal Blue Travellers with the aforementioned Biscuit trim, and also an ex Cardiff City Police 2-door saloon. I hope you enjoy the car and the club as much as I do.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

You can get "paint" to change the colour of vinyl.
Not sure if you can get it mixed like car paint but if you can it would be a solution.
Otherwise how about doing all the seat bases in a complimentary colour, if there is one :) .
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

Blimey, talk about a quick response!!

Thanks for the advice.

1. I'll check out the valve again tomorrow and failing that replace.
2. If anyone else can come up with the best part number for the longer belt then I'd appreciate it.
3. Not sure I fancy paint, but if MarkyB has any more details then I'll look into it, failing that - simmitc do you have any photos that you can share please, so that I can see what it might look like?

Thanks again.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

No more details I'm afraid.
You can get paint for vinyl.
You can get car paint matched to what is on your car.
I'm extrapolating to suggest you can get vinyl paint mixed to match what you have but it doesn't seem unreasonable.
A very cursory search led me to:http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/carpetdyekit.htm
which suggests it's doable.
Otherwise create your own two tone upholstery with the existing good bits, the services of an upholsterer and a matching colour.
No one will have ever seen one like it :D .
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You should leave the heater valve wide open all year round ! For 10 months you will want all the heat you can get - the other two months - the additional water circulation/cooling helps to keep the engine cool - and to stop sediment settling out in the heater matrix. That's why the valve won't be moving - it's probably not been moved in 20 years or more!
ImageImage
cormorant
Minor Fan

Post by cormorant »

If you do have to buy another valve do one of two things - either buy the standard valve but the better quality one as you will often find a cheaper one on offer - or look online and buy a plain stub instead for about 8 quid or so, (e.g. from minispares) then there is nothing to go wrong with it!
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

Thanks all for the additional thoughts.

Has anyone got a part number for the longer seat belt please or will '264' work (minus the pillar loop)?
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Having the heater on all year might be OK in Scotland but further South it makes the interior intolerably hot.
I use the heater as nature intended although some times I will turn it on in an attempt to gauge the engine temperature.

It makes more sense to me to use the heater normally then deal with any silting problems IF they arise rather than have a car that is unpleasant to drive for much of the year.
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Newbie quetions

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi
Go to Woolies site www.woolies-trim.co.uk. They will be able to mix paint to match a sample you send them, or they may already have a mixing formula to match. They will supply all items to clean and prep before spraying, when you order the new trim ask the trim company to send you a 6in by 6in sample of the new trim and they will match to it.
I did the original rear seat in my 53 MM to match the new front seat covers and door cards the paint can be done in aerosols or in tin to spray yourself if you have the equipment, ring them they are very helpful
There was a thread on here where somebody did it to there vinyl trim and made a good job of it don't know whose paint they used but someone may remember the link and you can ask them how it looks now

<br>Image<br>

before pic

<br>Image<br>

another

<br>Image<br>

after pic

My seat was a mix of vinyl sides and leather facings so I had two different paints to use but the colour match to new vinyl was very good
Newtons did not have the original colour/grain and the cards and seat covers were the replacement materials they supply now

Regards Ian

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just shut the flap to keep the heat in the heater and out of the car - and open the climate control systems - one each side - sometimes referred to as 'quarter lights' !
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Teal Blue with Biscuit and carpet as requested.<br>Image<br>
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

And another view<br>Image<br>
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

Hmmm, new base covers and paint seems a much cheaper option but have to say the 'biscuit' interior does looks tasty!! Perhaps I need to start saving my pennies... :-?

As far as the heater goes, I'm on the tall side and have to fold myself in to some degree, so it's currently cooking my left knee!! I've checked the valve again today but I think it's had it, so replacement seems the solution ... I'd like to at least have the option to turn it off. To answer simmitc's earlier question, I am a MMOC member, so I'll check out the club spares.

Would still like to know what the best Securon belts are for the back of a Traveller, before forking our my hard earned. If anyone can help with a part number I'd be grateful.

BTW - great bunch of helpful bods on this forum :lol:
cormorant
Minor Fan

Post by cormorant »

You can also put a 74 degree thermostat in during the summer months then you don't have such a hot little box in the car
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If you order seat belts specifically for a Traveller and they don't fit then you are within your rights to return them.
By the way, I have the same problem with short rear belts, trouble is that by the time I got around to fitting them I had forgotten which rally stand I bought them from.
I have just found the box in the garage with no. Pn 254.
The application list says Morris Minor saloon/traveller, Marina & Ital saloon/est.<79 Pn 254.
Marina & Ital saloon/est. 80< Pn 264. There is no length quoted on the box.
I would suggest that the application list is wrong if the seat belts are mounted in the correct position behind the crest of the wheel arch.
Last edited by mike.perry on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I've checked my rear belts, and can confirm that they are Securon part number 264. They are approx 22 inches longer than the 254, and it makes a great deal of difference! I also fitted those in the saloon, which makes them suitable for more, um rotund, passengers.
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

Thanks simmitc, will go for the 264 then - I assume you remove the 'Pillar Loop' and that they will work in the same layout as the 254.

http://www.securon.co.uk/seatbelts_layouts.htm
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

I just checked mine got info from another thread then after reading this rechecked to see which model I had. 254's on the rear and 264's on the front - DOOH. Swapped them round now everythings OK
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Yes, CAREFULLY cut the pillar loop off, making sure that you do not damage the webbing. 264s can also be used to give a bit more room on the front belts, but this time, keep the pillar bracket in place.

I have previously written to Securon about the fact that the belts need to be longer, but their attitude was that I didn't know what I was talking about; so it's refreshing to hear of other people who share my view.