Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cammy-p
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

deleted

Post by cammy-p »

H
Last edited by cammy-p on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is "Ruby" ..
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Lights on a 1962

Post by stevey »

yes your car should have the smaller rear light and small front sidelights. The brakelight and side light are supposed to flash when you indicate.

cammy-p
Minor Fan

Post by cammy-p »

Thanks for the reply would it have been this exact rear lamp unit minus the extra added indicator ?....
Im wanting to replace the lights as i hate the later large units that are currantly on mine also im about to replace the loom on my car so want the correct lights before i order it and also have the car painted ...
Cheers ...[frame]Image[/frame]
This is "Ruby" ..
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

If your car doesn't have trafficators, or anywhere for them to fit, then the likelihood is that it should have had the large Lucas relay in the bonnet operating the brake-lights as flashers. This relay may still be fixed to the driver's inner wing.

The front lights were white, dual filament (which may necessitate work to the wings as I believe the mounting holes are different sizes) while the rears were, as has previously been said, small red affairs with the brake-lights operating as flashers. This was quite common during the late 50's in both America and Europe (I believe the VW Karmann Ghia had a similar arrangement) but isn't ideal for daily use as the folk of today don't expect red indicators. Mr MOT-man can be a bit sniffy, but they're perfectly legal.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
cammy-p
Minor Fan

deleted

Post by cammy-p »

I
Last edited by cammy-p on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is "Ruby" ..
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Yes, a 1962 car would have the smaller lights at the rear and the white ones at the front. My '62 Travelller has the later lights. I think a lot of people upgraded them for safety reasons, as the rear lights flashing sometimes lead the following traffic to believe you had a wiring fault instead of the fact that you intended to turn right or left. They are also difficult to see "flashing" in strong sunshine.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Hi,

And as an added thought, the special relay used for the flasher/brake light is probably as expensive as a normal unit + the newer amber indicators (front & Back).

We used to have a '62 minor - and the indicators were not that clear - even whe people expected them!. Nowadays very few people expect them.

Colin
kittyfell
Minor Fan

Post by kittyfell »

You can relatively easily make up a system of relays to do the rear light flashing, or just use hand signals. I can certainly see why you 'hate' the little indicator lights, they are ghastly.

katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

"Use hand signals" ?
Most of the young people don't know what they mean. They think that your're either waving at somebody, making rude gestures or drying your nailpolish.
Last edited by katy on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talk slow, think fast!