Engine weights

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pskipper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Engine weights

Post by pskipper »

Hi,

Our next project (after we've done our police car as a standard moggy) is going to be a diesel traveller.

So... can anyone tell me how much an a-series engine weighs?

Even better would be if you could tell me how much an a-series engine weighs and how much a peugeot citroen 1.8 (1769cc) diesel engine weighs as there is nothing out there in google and it looks like a good and simple engine for starting out with.

Thanks,

Philip & Lynda
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: Engine weights

Post by PSL184 »

Discussion here about A series weights http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33230
Can't help with that foreign rubbish though :wink:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Thanks, don't know how I missed finding that one :oops:

Just have to hope the other engine is in the same ball park :D

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

I would guess at the Pug engine being lighter as I suppose more alloy would be used rather than cast iron....?
[sig]8426[/sig]

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

I'm hoping so, although some of their diesel blocks were cast iron :( They did do some smaller diesel engines but the 1.8 is a nice engine (and will run off of vegetable oil :D )

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Have a look at this thread. Excellent conversion

http://mog.myfreeforum.org/turbo_diesel ... t1484.html

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

one of the regular posters I think has a fiesta diesel powered 6 wheel traveller.. but i am probably totally mixed up
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

I saw it at the last National, the traveller we'll be modifying is a bit of a rare one so we want to keep it to bolt on modifications (well not needing any structural changes) so that it can be converted back easily if a future owner wants to.

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

the poster i was thinking of was 8009steve i do not know what mods he had to make to fit the engine and which he did for fun
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

This very nice van fitted with Pug 1.9 turbo diesel was at Peebles. Said to be good for 100 mph - and 60 mpg. Looks absolutely standard - even to the LP 917 wheels.[frame]Image[/frame]
ImageImage
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Yes, it's a beautifully done one! Unfortunately it required bulkhead modification and removing the battery box so we'll need to find something shorter :( Shame as they are really nice engines!

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Just discovered that a TUD5 (the 1.5D they put in saxos etc) weighs 110kg, 5 kg lighter than the minor block. The saxo also weighs 910kg which from memory is slightly heavier than a traveller? [edited, Traveller is 826kg, so around 90kg lighter than the saxo once you reduce the weight of the engine, probably 85kg once you add in the extra ancilleries needed] Just have to find out the dimensions of the engine now :D
Last edited by pskipper on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

Yes your right '8009steve' has the fiesta diesel 6 wheel traveller, and is front wheel drive. He also had to remove the original morris battery tray :wink:
There is a chap I know of that did a 1.8 ford diesel in-line but did major chassis/body work to make it fit.
The green van pictured above took litle adaption to chassis to work if I remember correctley, Andy used an FSO which is pug engine but not sure what gearbox they had.
I didnt much like the french diesels when I did my van as quite a few people I knew had serious troubles with them at the time and it put me off, and I also wanted to have the option to convert back to original with just a set of spanners (no cutting chassis/body) works quite well to :D My van was featured in October 2008 of minor monthly.

If these diesel moggies catch on we'll have to start a 'diesel minor register' :D
cheers, Daniel
Last edited by Robins on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Looks smart, is that a TUD5? One of the reasons I'd included it in my list was I had a citroen ax for a while with the 1.5D engine, got rid of it in the end as it was too uncomfortable for a 6ft tall person to drive long distances but never had any problems with the engine :) Did the article in minor monthly have a blow by blow description of how you set it all up (bit lazy of me I know)?
And how does it run :D

Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

No not a TUD5, I said i was put off french engines, so used something else completely, and they need the battery tray taken away. Its most definatley a british engine in my van :wink:
My minor monthly article is a normal article about my van, not a 'how to' im affraid. Isn't that the fun though, if I told you how to do it, you would have a copy of my work, not your own conversion :D
Goes very well 8) with amazing MPG. Heavy engine but that was sorted by adding one of those coil over shock conversion to original suspension.
You also have to take gearbox in to consideration as that will need changing to go with the engine.
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Perkins or Prima?
Probably Prima from a Montego or Maestro....
[sig]8426[/sig]

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Robins wrote:No not a TUD5, I said i was put off french engines
:oops: sorry too much hot weather and not enough sleep :lol:

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

What about a VW Lupo engine?
Not French, and the 1.4 TDI delivers 75 PS (55 kW; 74 hp) @4000 rpm according to Wikipedia.
3 cylinders so it shouldn't be too long.

Even the 1.2 TDI 3L gives 60 hp and propels a Lupo to 103 mph!

The catch of course is that it needs engine management so the wiring isn't going to be simple.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Yes, we're trying to avoid engine management systems if possible. We're also hoping to avoid common rail systems as they make it much harder to run on veg oil :D

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'd tend to avoid engine management too, for practical reasons, but do you have a regular source of veg oil, or is this an ethical thing?
Common rail and engine management seem to be the way to go with fuels that are commonly available, if you want efficiency.
Biodiesel is another interesting option, if you don't mind back yard chemistry.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"