Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rustbucket
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

indicator stalk help

Post by rustbucket »

it's been that long since i turned the steering wheel in my 66 2dr i've forgot if the indicators are self cancelling or not.
if not i've got a problem in the coloum switch gear i think. its been in the shed since i took it off over 12 months ago and i did'nt need to use it as the car came on a trailer. i know, should have checked it first . :o
"i'll be in in a bit dear. leave me tea on the table"
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: indicator stalk help

Post by mike.perry »

There should be a peg or something on the steering column which cancels the indicator switch when the wheel is straightened.
I prefer to cancel the indicators myself
[sig]3580[/sig]
rustbucket
Minor Friendly

Post by rustbucket »

looks like it's a strip down and inspection. thanks
"i'll be in in a bit dear. leave me tea on the table"
BESSIE

Post by BESSIE »

There is a small peg on the steering column which catches on 2 small chrome lugs on the switch to cancel indicator, the switch is mounted on the steering column cover sleeve. If this cover has moved up or down or been moved, the peg will not locate on the switch lug. The only way to check this is to remove the steering wheel then the cover over the switch, the steering wheel nut which requires a 1-5/16 AF socket to undo and will be very tight to undo, the horn push will have to be removed to get to nut, the steering wheel may need to be knocked up with hide or soft faced hammer. Undo 3 phillips type screws on switch cover and pull cover off up the column. The cancel peg has a domed head with hex below and a lock nut, check the peg lines up with the left & right chrome lugs on switch if they don't and switch needs to be moved up or down slacken the 2 screws and nuts which hold the column to the dash and you can move the column cover up or down to line peg and switch lug up, then retighten the column support screws. If the peg is to short to reach chrome lug just undo lock nut and adjust. Check everything works before reassembly. Good luck
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Two caveats - be sure to disconnect the battery so the horn doesn't start blowing uncontrollably, and after loosening the nut holding the wheel, leave it on a few threads while you knock the wheel up the splines otherwise it's likely to jump off and smack you in the face.... :cry:
ImageImage
Plin
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Plin »

Very wise words there bmcecosse. Thanks for reminding us.