Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
littleblackflash
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Trav Rear Suspension overhaul

Post by littleblackflash »

Whilst ordering some bits to solve my water leak, I thought I'd add some rear springs to the list because I keep getting an advisory MOT note for "Rusty Shackles on rear suspension".

I was going to order 2 new leaf spring because they are past there best. I have some new polly bushes to use. What else should I order? I'd rather spend money on new bits and do the job in an evening, rather than save a few pennies and spend a week doing it.

Advice and tip welcome.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Trav Rear Suspension overhaul

Post by MarkyB »

I'm pretty sure the Shackles are the plates between the rear end of the springs and the body.

They are quite thick and not prone to rust, but shiny new ones might cheer your MOT man up.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just wire brush and paint the shackles! Good idea to fit new bump stops - and you may find the U bolts snap when you try to undo them. The front pin mounts are also v unlikely to want to unscrew - best with new ones! While the dampers are off - drain them and refill with SAE 40 oil. Some folks recently found the replacement leaf springs to be less than long-lasting.......not sure if this problem has been resolved??
ImageImage
littleblackflash
Minor Fan

Thanks.

If the front pins don't unscrew, how do you get them out? Can I just cut them off?

The shackles are so cheap I won't bother painting them, I don't have the time or space to have the car in the workshop for too long.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You may have to butcher/cut the front pins to get them out. Depends how long they have been in there/how well protected they are.
ImageImage
littleblackflash
Minor Fan

New pins added to the order. I'm not going to mess about trying to save the original parts.