Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tedlogan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Sidelights/indicater mot fail

Post by tedlogan »

Hi could do with pointing in the right direction, lights failed mot. The problem is that the indicaters work but through the small bulb which is the side light + when the side lights are on the indicaters(same bulb) does not flash! Now doesthis sound like incorrect wiring or is it a problem with the relays? Oh and its a morris traveller 64, cheers
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Sidelights/indicater mot fail

Post by bmcecosse »

Bad earth connection in the lamp affected.
ImageImage
tedlogan
Minor Friendly

Post by tedlogan »

Really? Dont forget both sides are like it, only the bottom bulbs are working on both. These little bulbs are doing the job of the indicator as well as the sidelights on both sides!
Ill look into the ground wires though, could it be anything else?
tedlogan
Minor Friendly

Post by tedlogan »

Is every light earthed seperetely or do they all join and get earthed together? If so where is it uaually situated? Cheers
tedlogan
Minor Friendly

Post by tedlogan »

Ok people i've had a look at the wiring compared to a wiring diagram and need help with a couple of pointets! I currently have a 3 pin relay for the indicaters, ok! And i have the joint indicater/sidelights on the front, right! And these light fittings only have two wires so thinking it through i was thinking that surely instead of the 3pin relay i'd actually need the 8pin to properly allocate the correct feed/sequence?
Any thoughts?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You have a relay in the circuit?? Most unusual...... You didn't say earlier that it was on BOTH sides - so bad earths on BOTH sides are the problem! Are they by any chance on fibreglass wings ??
ImageImage
tedlogan
Minor Friendly

Post by tedlogan »

Hi mate, sorry about being unclear. New to this! So both earths are connected to fibreglass wings and thinking about it im not if it is a relay, oops! It a 3 pin cylinder ive heard them called a flash can, I just presumed it was a relay! Any ideas?
Again, sorry for being vaigue, all help is appreciated, cheers
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

If your earthing to fiberglass then your not earthing at all, it needs to run to good metal. If there's two pins then one is power for side lights, the other indicators, the body being the earth, connect the wires as appropriate and see how it works then.
tedlogan
Minor Friendly

Post by tedlogan »

Ah I see, it all makes sense, unfortunately im away at work but ill have a look tomorrow or monday and let you know how it went. Thanks for your help and patience! Cheers bud
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So - yes, the little can with 3 connections is the flasher unit, not a relay - and both lamps need the bodies joining together (with black wire to keep it right) and then that wire connecting to a good bright steel part of the bodyshell. Although - if the headlamps are working correctly, they must be earthed - so you could just pick up that earth at each headlamp and join it to the side/flasher lamp body.
ImageImage