Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SUE482
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Camshaft woes

Post by SUE482 »

My 1098 10MA requires a re-bore and crank regrind so when I took out the camshaft I was surprised to see excessive wear on the gearing of the distributor drive and the cam shaft, and by the look of it both need replacing. Couple of questions has anyone seen anything similar and offer any explanation to what has caused it. As for replacements are there any suggestions as ESM/BM don't seem to stock distributor drive shafts.

Distributor Drive
[frame]Image[/frame]
Camshaft[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Should be ready for tea time.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Camshaft woes

Post by bmcecosse »

WOW! This is MOST unusual.... And the metal shards would be going round the engine - what does the inside of the oil pump look like ?? When was the engine last taken down?
ImageImage
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

I don't have any history of the engine it came out of a van along time ago. There was lots of grot in the pump, it now been thrown away as I was going to replace it. Do you know if there any differences in the drives shafts between this and the earlier engines, just wondered if someone had put the wrong shaft in. :evil:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Shaft for the dizzy drive? Could be I suppose. What was the end float on the camshaft like?
ImageImage
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

Ah Ah, I noticed when I was stripping down the engine the camshaft locating plate was considerably worn and indeed misshapen. That would mean lots of play in the end float, could that be it? Still need a drive shaft and camshaft though. :cry:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Seems to me the engine may have been fitted with the wrong oil pump - a 'long shaft' pump - when a 1098 must have a 'short shaft' pump. This would force the camshaft forward...but frankly it must have been brutally tight !! The sprockets for the cam drive must have been horribly out of the line. The sprockets and chain will be scrap.......
ImageImage
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

Everything was in line and no damage to the timing chain etc. could have been a previous pump though.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Seems to me there is very little of this engine worth saving.......... If you do proceed - be sure to flush out the oil passages very very well - including the relief valve ports.
ImageImage
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I've had exactly this following fitting an aftermarket cam (and then 2 replacements which also caused the same wear)- in these cases it was due to the gear being badly machined on the billet crankshafts. Cure was to source a new old stock BL cam... As BMC says, there will doubtless be metal all around the engine. This cost me 2 sets of big ends and mains on my newly built engine... I can't think of anything other than what has been suggested as to the cause in your engine though. As for the distributor drive shaft- as they don't generally wear, get a second hand one. Any of the smaller Minor dealers would be able to help- they can just take one out of an old engine. Minispares were selling them last year if you really want a new one, but you'll need to get saving!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But I think this was an original cam ?
ImageImage
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

There's one on Flea Bay
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's an A+ driveshaft -a 1098 needs a normal A driveshaft.
ImageImage
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

"I've had exactly this following fitting an aftermarket cam (and then 2 replacements which also caused the same wear)-"

Care to give us a hint as to the manufacturer of said cams?...

SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

Well all this is getting a bit depressing. I've ordered a reprofiled one from ESM and obtained a distributor drive via the club spares. :-?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

A reprofiled ........what?? Hopefully not a narrow lobe cam (like the 1098 original) - and do ESM have the ability to re-harden cam lobes after the 'reprofiling' ?? Actually - I suspect they won't do this work themselves - would be better to get one from a company that DO do the work themselves......
ImageImage
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

Ok thanks,do you have an alternative which you could suggest, and from where? I could always return this one. :oops:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Here you go - FAR better camshaft. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-266-Cams ... 337d6d6fdd Note it will need a slot drive short shaft oil pump. Cancel the ESM cam - they won't accept your old cam in exchange anyway.
ImageImage
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

Many thanks, oil pump GLP139 do?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

ImageImage
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Just got the block, crank and head back from being machined. Block was +20, crank -10 on mains and big ends and the head has new guides and seals for a mini plus valves. Also had the head and block skimmed. Now for a good clean out before I start assembling.