Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MattJR
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Ignition light permanently lit

Post by MattJR »

Hello,

I was driving the Minor this morning and, for no apparent reason, the ignition light came on and stayed on. I stopped the engine and started again. The ignition light came on and stayed on (instead of fading out after a few seconds).

I guess this could be an electrical fault, but any other suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
Matt
This is Myrtle.
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Re: Ignition light permanently lit

Post by chesney »

Check the wiring on the dynamo, on mine, the wire had slipped out of the connector.
Otherwise, testing the dynamo and making sure the brushes have life on them still (assuming dynamo?).
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Apart from something obvious like a broken drivebelt the dynamo would be the culprit.
The two wires at the rear of the unit can easily come adrift and the connectors should be squeezed tight with pliers to ensure a good fit on the terminals.
If they are OK go on and check the brushes. :D

Moggieoutback

Post by Moggieoutback »

I had this some time ago with a series 2 landrover i checked the dyamo new brushes etc in the end it was the voltage regulater i had to change and that was the answer
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Happens on mine all the time and turns out to be, as Boomlander and Chesney say, loose connections on the dynamo. There are two terminals on it.

Note it is usual for the lamp to glow slightly at idle anyway so you'll have to rev the engine gently in between checks.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Probably failed dyno or alt depending which you have, easy check start it up ,in the dark and switch the lights on rev it and see if the lights get brighter if they don't then def. charging system need checking as above or replacing
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - but check the FAN BELT urgently..it's the most likely reason.
ImageImage
MattJR
Minor Friendly

Post by MattJR »

Thanks!
This is Myrtle.
Snadger
Minor Friendly

Post by Snadger »

My pennyworth...........The fan belt may not be broken but it could be slipping and just need adjusting?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Indeed, there should be no more or less than half an inch of side-to-side play on its longest run.
MattJR
Minor Friendly

Post by MattJR »

Thanks, guys. My garage can take a look at it on Friday (I have no idea what goes on under the bonnet so I leave it to the professionals)! Is it ok to drive for a few days - I go about 5 miles to work and back? Is it going suddenly to cut out on me ??

Grateful for your advice.

Cheers,
Matt
This is Myrtle.
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Do you have a battery charger?
Depends how long the journey is and what you are using (wipers, lights etc). With these conditions (rain/dark) I'd avoid it if poss as you will be asking more from the battery than to run the car, and it's not nice weather to break down in! But for 5 miles a time, probably ok as long as the battery is charged when you get back (and at work if poss!). My record id 20 miles with ignition lamp on, not that I'm asking you to try beat it :lol:.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NO! If the fan belt has snapped you MUST NOT drive it. Check that immediately. If the belt is in place - then yes - short runs with NO headlights or fan or wipers will be ok - as long as you charge the battery overnight.
ImageImage
MattJR
Minor Friendly

Post by MattJR »

Guys, thanks for your advice. The fan belt has indeed snapped. What do I do now if I can't drive the car? Should I just get one and fit it? Where do I get one? Will Halfords stock them or, if I mention a Morris Minor, will they look at me like I've landed from Mars ... ?
This is Myrtle.
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

If you quote for one from after 1963 they should be able to get an article number for it. They are not able to find parts for Minors pre '63. Take the old one with you, some have a code on or if not they can measure it instore. If you are having trouble with them I can find the direct replacement from Halfords (if they stock it) if you let me know what engine and if you have an alternator or dynamo.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hahahahaha - I thought so - well at least it's simple and inexpensive. Possibly in Hellfrauds - an 825 belt should fit - or may be a bit too tight - depends on the sliding bracket fitted to the generator. You can drive it a max of say 1 mile from a cold start without a serious risk of overheating - but go gently in top gear!
ImageImage
MattJR
Minor Friendly

Post by MattJR »

Thanks, Chesney, that's brilliant. It's a 1969 saloon with a 1098 engine and it has a dynamo. I'll ask them and take the old one with me as you suggest.

Cheers,
Matt
This is Myrtle.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

You can tie a pair of your girlfriends/wifes tights around the pulleys as a temporary measure to drive to Halfords.
I believe they have a fitting service too for a small extra charge.
Just don't let them do it up " bar tight ".

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

I wouldn't let them fit it.
They won't have imperial spanners - so you may end up with a rounded off nut on your adjuster :o
And no worries Matt, that's what this forum is for :D Let us know how you get on!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

This lot seem to think it is the 825 belt too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 0622197459 And I agree - don't let Hellfrauds anywhere near your car........... When you know the size fits - buy a spare and carry it in the car.
ImageImage