Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
charleschuck
MMOC Member: No

Wiring diagram wrong????.

Post by charleschuck »

Juliet the 68 traveller

OK, so ive got the amber warning light above the ignition light showing, so i grab the manual, pull out the speedo, and find a green/brown wire and a green wire to the lamp. i checked the oil preassure warning lamp and these are green/yellow and green The BMC workshop Manual shows the oil filter warning light green/yellow and green, AND the oil pressure warning light ,green/yellow and green.
I trace them both to the source and find the green/brown wire goes to the oil pressure switch, and the green/yellow to a lose wire hanging down by the oil filter, (so they're both going to the wrong places anyway)
I've found my oil pressure swich to be faulty and the oil filter to have no switch, but the wiring colours still dont match the manual, so is this my car thats been wired wrong from new, or a mistake in the book?? has anybody else found any other mistakes???
beero
Minor Legend

Re: Wiring diagram wrong????.

Post by beero »

Should both be green yellow according to my diagrams, green/brown is fuel gauge to sender.
Perhaps whoever built the loom ran out of green/yellow????

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Fuel gauge send is green/black, not green/brown.
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Post by bufferzone »

Ah, on my 67, the green/yellow goes to the oil pressure switch (amber warning light) and the green/brown hangs unused since there is no blocked oil filter switch (but I do have a blue blocked filter warning light at left of speedo). I believe this is correct for the late 60's cars. my diagram shows green/yellow as oil pressure switch but has no green/brown or blocked oil filter switch or warning light! took me a while to figure this one out.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Over the years, many cars have the warning lights put back in the wrong holes. Blue is always (or at least should be :o ) main beam.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Wipe the wires clean with meths or lighter fluid......it WILL be yellow......
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Manual Diagram N44 shows (25) oil filter warning light and switch green/yellow wire, and also (26) oil pressure warning light and switch green/yellow wire.
My wiring loom has (26) with green/brown wire. Since I have a canister oil filter (25) is spare
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's just a dirty /faded yellow....... The two wires are the same colour because it doesn't really matter which one goes where.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Mine is definately brown/green, plastic coated clean wiring. I checked this afternoon
Last edited by mike.perry on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
charleschuck

Post by charleschuck »

Cleaned and check wiring again and it is green going to the bulb and brown/ green coming away.
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Post by bufferzone »

thank you mike perry! I hadn't seen page N44, and there they are, switches and lamps. however, my oil filter unused wire is definitely green/brown. and a correction from my earlier post, the unused filter warning light is amber, just above the blue high beam light.