Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
1mustard
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Gearbox mounts!

Post by 1mustard »

Hi all, i have just refitted the engine and gearbox etc to my moggie project.
Basically i have an issue with the clutch rod/pivot assembly comes of the chassis rail and goes upwards to the gearbox, basically out of line, i have swapped the mounts round this way and that way, but the gearbox still sits too high, i have put new gearbox mounts on and from what i can tell they are way to hard/stiff and have little give in them and appear a little to big, from what i can tell this really is the only thing i can see that can cause this issue.
To be honest i can't remember what is was like before, it was stripped over a year ago, i have never had this issue before.
The engine mounts all are right and seem fine, its just at the rear, also what way up do the mounts go like a 'u' or an 'n' if you know what i mean?, i have now got clutch issues aswell, dragging into gear, its the old clutch but is perfectly useable and worked perfectly before, i would add however i have replaced the gearbox with a second hand item supplied by the previous owner, on his advice, i may try the old box just out of interest, but it is the clutch that is giving me problems.
It hasn't had any chassis rail repairs etc, i think it is the quality of these mounts.
Has anyone else had aggro with these mounts?.
cheers
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearbox mounts!

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Yes they can be confusing, can be fitted upside down and also on the wrong side as well. Heres an old post with pic.

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36712

Too many Minors so little time.....
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But some of the new mounts supplied these days are far too hard - and possibly too thick..... A picture of one alongside an old mount would be interesting.
ImageImage
1mustard
Minor Fan

Post by 1mustard »

i only have one old one kicking about, its much softer, and not as thick, they are a bit mickey mouse bit like all the parts for these cars!, nothing ever seems to fit or work properly.
I work on modern cars and if i had this much grief with modern car parts i would spend half my day on the phone moaning at suppliers, which i have to normally do once a week anyway, watch out for cheap modern car parts they can be dreadful to fit aswell.
Trouble with the moggies are you are so limited on where you can get the bits, snookered really.
thanks.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

The drawing below shows which way up the mountings go, 'u' or 'n', they should be an 'n'. Does not show which of the brackets is LH or RH, but from other info if you fit them the wrong way round, the engine ends up obviously too far forward.
[frame]Image[/frame]
Richard

1mustard
Minor Fan

Post by 1mustard »

thanks mate, thats helpful. Its definatley the mounts!
cheers
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You notice in that drawing the crossmember is slotted - are your mounts slid down the slots (so to speak) - or is their thickness holding them up near the top?
ImageImage
1mustard
Minor Fan

Post by 1mustard »

i,ve got them down but i don't think they are going down as far as they should, i am going to have to live with it, to be honest i am having grief with the clutch anyway and until thats right i cant really suss the mounts out.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The clutch grief may be because the linkage is so far out of alignment.
ImageImage