Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markthe45king
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Why is my windscreen so dirty?

Post by markthe45king »

Ok - obvious things first - we have two new blades on, so it's not blade wear. I do seem to only have intermittent screenwash supply from one of the two jets, so if anyone knows why that might be, feel free to chip in! (But I have recently had a new screenwash pump put in)

The real issue is that basically my windscreen seems to get filthy all the time, even virtually straight after the car is washed; and the wipers seem to only blur / streak any dirt into the windscreen. I've visually checked and there seems to be good contact across the glass, but even looking at the car parked up in the rain I can see the clear curves where the blurring occurs with the wipers going.

So - any suggestions about how to get the windscreen properly clean again? I'm assuming what I'm seeing is a salt build up on the glass rather than ingrained dirt! And any extra checks I can make to reduce the streaking?

Thanks as ever
[sig]10256[/sig]
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Why is my windscreen so dirty?

Post by Boomlander »

This time of year the salt from road gritting gets thrown up by cars and settles as a fine mist on the windscreen.
Difficult to keep the screen clear until the salt is washed away from the road surface by rain.
Try washing the screen with warm clean water with a cup of white vinegar added to it, this will give you a sparkling clean surface to start with then make sure you have a good quality screenwash solution in your washer bottle.
If your wiper rubbers are good then this should suffice. :D

katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

One city I lived in the air pollution used to collect on the windshield and didn't come off w/the wipers. I started putting some liquid dishwashing detergent in the washer fluid and that cured that problem.
YMMV
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That detergent contains SALT, lots of it, don't use it. There used to be an excellent product 'Clearalex' - a powder to add to the water - it worked well.... But the answer is that your blades are probably crap......get some decent ones - the 'chrome' ones are particularly bad.... Clean the screen thoroughly with Traffic film spray, and then treat with RainX - it works !
ImageImage
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Also clear the washer jet orifice with a needle. :D

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Wash the screen with clean car shampoo in water and rinse thoroughly. Next apply toothpaste to a soft cloth and apply to the screen as if you were polishing the body. Use it as a very fine grinding paste, then wash off with copious clean water. That's it, do not add any aftermarket solutions. We obviously have different experiences, but I have found product X to be atrocious.

Clean the jet with a pin. Use a good quality screenwash in the bottle, and fit goos quality blades.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Last year I gave our cars a intensive clean with a clay bar kit, after finishing the paint work I used the clay bar on the front and rear screens with a spray of window cleaner,the amount of road debris it removed was amazing and afterwards the glass was really smooth to the touch. Combined with using rain repellent on a regular basis the screens stay clearer and don't smear as much.
Today coming back from Manchester the rain was horrible but the Minor's wipers coped really well.
May be worth a try?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Simmitc - are you cleaning the screen properly before applying the RainX ? It really does work - doesn't last long I grant you - perhaps that's because of course I use the Poundland version.....
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Hi Roy, yes, all applied according to instructions. I tried it many years ago and it was bad, tried again a few years ago and (a) it didn't work as claimed and (b) it actually stuck the blades to the screen :o I changed the wiper motor before realising what the problem was, cleaned off with toothpaste, and never had another problem. Perhaps I ought to try the cheaper version.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There are different designs of wiper blade holders, some are useless, others work better. I find that these work well enough. Sort your washers out, probably a blocked pipe or jet. Fit electric washers and do not use wipers on a dry screen .
[frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]3580[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i have found product x a waste of money, on my screen it just smeared
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

mike.perry wrote:There are different designs of wiper blade holders, some are useless, others work better. I find that these work well enough. Sort your washers out, probably a blocked pipe or jet. Fit electric washers and do not use wipers on a dry screen .
[frame]Image[/frame]

Where did you get those from? From memory mine from ESM are just 1 solid bar as opposed to two swivel "feet"
Of course I could be wrong, My belly is pining for my tea, thats probably clouding my vision. lol..

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

They look like Tex blades, I find them pretty good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TEX-STAIN ... 2a4c89ef17
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I find the Poundland stuff works really well - on both TR7 and Minor. I clean the screen with 'Choke and Carb Cleaner' - (basically Toluene..) and then apply the film. On the TR7 with raked screen - the rain blows away -rarely need to use the wipers. The Minor screen is of course more upright - and it definitely helps the wipers but does need reapplication if the wipers have been used on it.
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Newspaper and white vinegar :)
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Afterwards don't get any wax on the screen or the wipers will really struggle to work properly.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

That detergent contains SALT, lots of it, don't use it
Been using that method for over 20 years and don't have any problems with it.
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Perhaps different in Canada - although I doubt it....
ImageImage
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Aren't we just talking about cleaning glass here? Even I can do that. Vinegar in the water is good!