Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tubey98
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

URGENT HELP!!!!!!

Post by Tubey98 »

Hi all,
today i was driving home from work for the second time ths year and lately everything has been running smoothly but I get trouble getting into first gear when i am stationary. I have to release the clutch and then press it down again to get in in gear.

Anyway today it has been driving same as usual with the gear problem and then when I was about 10 minutes from home whilst in second gear a horrible clunking noise started and so I pulled over put it in first gear and tried to pull away but the car goes about a meter in distance and then it just stops. (the engine still runs) It seems that it could be the gearbox but im not sure could anybody help me. Thanks a lot
James
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: URGENT HELP!!!!!!

Post by les »

Hmm could be a half shaft given up, may connect to move you a bit then nothing. The gearbox issue could make you suspect that. Of course it may well be linked but the former thought would be worth investigating.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Hope you limped home ok.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Minors are known for not being able to engage first gear while on stop as there is no synchromesh on first gear so select second gear and then simply slide the gear stick up into first, works every time ... unless there are other gearbox issues of course. And just a thought , is she "jumping" out of gear when you drive hence the loss of drive, yet another minor trait!
Tubey98
Minor Friendly

Post by Tubey98 »

I managed to get home safely because my dad towed me thanks for asking.
Back to the gear stick it doesn't jump out of gear and when i'm going for example from 2nd gear and then stop I have to put the gear stick to neutral and then release the clutch, then press the clutch again and then put it in first gear. I am having to do this more often lately. It started happening earlier this month and it seems to been occuring more often lately but I didn't really see it as a cause for concern.

I don't go to first gear when moving only when stationary. I learnt quite quickly that the car doesn't like first gear when its moving.

Cheers :) :)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Does the speedo still go round when you try to drive? If so - half shaft. As others suggest -1st gear is often a bit sticky - you need to stop the gears spinning by selecting second, and then straight in to 1st. However - this clunking is not likely connected with that. Will the car roll if you put it in neutral (with pushing, obviously) or has the gearbox jammed up solid?
Edit - so you got towed home - but I assume it's still not working. Does it select all the gears correctly - and will it 'drive' in any of them ? Oh - not related to the now problem - but is there ~ 1" free play at the clutch pedal?
ImageImage
Tubey98
Minor Friendly

Post by Tubey98 »

I havent had a look at the speedo when tring to move but it was going round when i was being towed. It does roll when its in neutral. It doesnt work in any gears and there is about 1" free play in the clutch pedal (is this bad news).
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well you likely need a gearbox - but it just might be the centre plate has ripped out of the clutch plate..... Either way - it's gearbox out time.
ImageImage