Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chris Williams
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Broken starter cable

Post by Chris Williams »

Happy bank holiday all,
I have a 1961 4 door and the starter pull has a cable on it which has snapped.It looks like the broken cable can be removed and a new one crimped in,but before I do damage can anyone verify this?Many thanks
jaekl
Minor Addict

Re: Broken starter cable

Post by jaekl »

I've done it to the choke and the starter should be made the same way. As I recall I drilled out the old cable and soldered in a new one.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

The cable is connected to the switch rod by a tube with two grub screws/bolts, easily seen when looking under the dash, so you need only a short run from the knob to the joint. short term you can clmap any piece of cable in place to allow you to pull the started (or, of course, open the bonnet and push the switch from the other side).
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Ive a choke cable to fix and found this on you tube, Ive yet to do it but he makes it look easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQIRaHBfps8

They also often come up on ebay, I had a quick look and there are none on at the moment though

Too many Minors so little time.....
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Hi guys
I have been able to lengthen two early MM choke controls successfully. You will notice the outer is crimped to the brass body by 3 equally spaced crimps. If a similar 3 spaced crimp is made one sixth of a turn from the original (ie on the raised parts left by the first crimp) you will be able to pull the outer from the brass body. I used the 3 jaw chuck on my lathe to do this. It can then be replaced with a Shimano outer cable from a cycle shop and re-crimped in the same 3 locations as was originally done. It may be necessary to run a drill through the brass body to clean it up to accept the new outer. I found the inner was soldered in and is easy to remove and replace with Shimano stainless steel inner cable 1.6 mm. dia. I used Eutectic 157 stainless steel solder for this using a 200 watt iron, but I see no reason why 50/50 solder with a good flux would not do the job. If the flux used is acidic and highly corrosive be sure to use plenty of hot water to remove it.
Cheers Bob
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Chris,

ESM do a replacement 'pull' cable SWH119 for £14.25 + VAT & Postage. No picture shown, so would be worth calling them to check exactly what it is.
Richard

Chris Williams
Minor Friendly

Post by Chris Williams »

Thanks for all the advice guys!I've got the one off ESM,mightily impressed with their service!Ordered it yesterday morning, just got home from work and its on my doormat! :D