Chassis number stamped position - on bulkhead?

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Chassis number stamped position - on bulkhead?

Post by Nickol »

I am going to need to show the Chassis number to the authorities soon for my Travellers new registration.

The stamped plate is not considered enough evidence. According to the Workshop Manual it is physically stamped directly on to the bulkhead next to where the accelerator cable comes out.

Now I have had a good scratch around, removed the paint but cannot see any stamped number.

My Trav is a March '68 Registration - does anyone know of another place where this stamped number may be located? It is possible of course that the car has been welded up but this area looks to me to be original.

Edit : found the thread giving the informations.

http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... on#p517524
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Re: Chassis number stamped position - on bulkhead?

Post by Declan_Burns »

Nickol,
You probably will not find anything. The previous owner told me the German MOT (TÜV) stamped the chassis number on the inner wing themselves when it went for the German reg. test. He had been driving it around on a garage plate. You can hardly read the stamp. I have never seen a Minor with a stamped chassis number on the bodywork. I'm not sure it was ever done at the factory. The chassis number on the bodywork is just one of those things, like hazard warning lights, that the German TÜV insists on but is not a big issue.
You can always stamp it yourself as they wouldn't know the difference anyway especially if the tester is under 60.! I have had the case where the TÜV rang me on my private number at home asking me to help them identifying Morris Minors in for testing. That is not a joke! -it's true. They know nothing about them!
The TÜV varies from state to state and the northern states will not accept what the southern states rule and vice versa. They all do their own thing. I have never been to the TÜV with the Moggy without them asking me how to open the bonnet! Once you get it registered then use a small local garage which has good TÜV or even better DEKRA connections and steer clear of the larger automated TÜV facilities. That is what I do and have never had any problems. Just dump 10€ in the coffee kitty and all is well.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Ja, the only reason I am looking for it, is because I had the same problem with my 1947 Austin 8 . There was also supposed to be a stamped number on the Chassis rail just above the steering box , but I never found one.
So, following your suggestion ( albeit 6 years ago !!) I stamped it myself on the floor plate by the passenger seat for the TüV.
You know the form, at the Zulassungsstelle, they also wanted to see the number but like you said, were quite happy with what they saw.

But thanks ever so much for the confirmation...have to borrow the stamps again now!![frame]Image[/frame]

Edit : seeing as VB is a quiet backwater, the TüV renewal at the lokal Werkstatt is never a prob. DEKRA is too far away. The Austin is up for renewal again in Aug - keine Mängel are expected.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As an aside that's a fine looking Austin 8 you have there.
Just highlights how much individual looks and style has been lost now everything modern is done by computer and wind tunnel!
Mind there are so many rules and regulations these days, for our own good of course, designs like your Austin would probably be strangled at birth........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Hallo,

yes it is a sweetie. Has only 23 PS so struggles a bit on any Kind of hill and there are some here it will not get up at all, even in first gear. That despite a quite well tuned side valve engine :)

But it is for the looks, the drive, the patina and the nostalgie that we drive them.
XWL61
Minor Fan

Post by XWL61 »

Isn't the chassis number on later cars stamped in the drivers side floor?

Andy
1955 Series 2 saloon XWL61
1957 Series 3 saloon
1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover
1953 Jowett Javelin PE Std.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

That appears to be the case - see the link to a previous thread here.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just stamp your own number as suggested already, then rub some old oil into it to 'age' it - none of their business when it was done - as long as it's there now and identifies the car in a 'permanent' way.
ImageImage
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

There is a motor club in my village here in Kent. In the '60s the Club was given a 1929 Ford Model AA recovery lorry which we still have and enjoy. Being a recovery lorry it did not have to be registered etc so when it needed a number plate the Man From The Ministry came along and asked for a vehicle number!! Brian cut the number off the bottom of an AA badge and riveted it onto the bulkhead. There's your number Sir!! We were allocated a number of suitable vintage.
Colin
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Brian cut the number off the bottom of an AA badge and riveted it onto the bulkhead. There's your number Sir!! We were allocated a number of suitable vintage.
Love it!! :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)