Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sirrom
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Engine miss

Post by sirrom »

First time out for my MM1000 for a good run this morning and everything was going fine then engine died and then came back and it did it a few more times and even backfired a couple of times and then came back fine for a while afterwards. So when this started to happen I turned for home and made it back not before it cut out and restarted.
I have driven it locally just around my local neighbourhood but today was on the open road. It sort of coughed a few times and then picks up again.
Have had the plugs out and they are really clean.
One thing I was wondering about would old fuel cause this sort of problem. I did fill it up with the older fuel in there. So its got some old and new fuel in it.

The more I think about it has to be an ignition problem as if was fuel it would be a continuous problem

Anybody got any ideas?
Sirrom - New Zealand
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Re: Engine miss

Post by Trickydicky »

I think it could be ignition related. Check if the points are pitted which would suggest the condenser is faulty.
Just replace one part at a time to try and find the fault :D
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Open the bonnet in the dark while the engine is running and see if you can see any stray sparking around the coil, dizzy, leads or plugs.

sirrom
Minor Fan

Post by sirrom »

Changed the condenser this morning and took car for a run over open road and some of it up a slight incline so had load on. Seemed to behave OK but will have to do a longer run to check on it and be sure.
The condenser I removed wasn't that old or done many miles.
Sirrom - New Zealand
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Condensers don't 'wear out'. They just fail. Usually after a long period of time, but much shorter periods these days if inferior, cheap imported ones are fitted.

They are simple to test. Check resistance with a meter. Should indicate an initial short circuit resistance, rising steadily to a very high value (several megaohms). Simple observation of the spark will sort out the good from the bad. A good strong blue spark invariably means the condenser is good; a yellowish spark could mean a faulty condenser (but there may be other reasons, too).

Your fault was more than likely a loose or corroded electrical connection if ignition related, but could equally be a fuel problem as well or instead.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

The quality of the well known brand of ignition parts is questionable to say the least. I would only buy replacements from http://www.distributordoctor.com.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.