Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

strange indicator problem

Post by dudload »

afternoon all,

I recently had an hazard flasher unit (supplied by Moss Europe) wired in by a local garage (who in turn called in one of their mobile auto electricians).

initially was very pleased as when in the garage i checked that the indicators and flashers worked, which they all did.

however, when popping out last sunday i noticed that my indicators weren't working. strange thing is being that to get the indicators to work after turning the ignition on the hazard units need to be turned on and off momentarily, after which all works completely fine.

anyone have any idea if this is a faulty unit, or does it sound like an obvious error from the sparky?
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: strange indicator problem

Post by mogbob »

It's clearly wrong, so I would get onto the garage straightaway and get them to " sort it " for you .They might even send the sparky straight to you ( if he is a mobile business ). The hazards are required to operate without the ignition being on.

As soon as you mess around with it , they have the perfect " get out " excuse and will charge you. Make it clear you expect your garage to
pick up the tab...not you. Don't entertain paying the sparky direct and then have the hassle of trying to get your money back from the garage.
The sparky was employed by them to do the work , not you.
Bob
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Sounds similar to an MGB common problem. The hazard switch, when switched on, actually 'breaks' the circuit for the indicator feed, and when switched off 'makes' the circuit again. Hence, switching the hazards on and off a few times can restore the indicators to working order. Go back and get them to try a new hazard switch.
Just looked at the Moss kit and it has exactly the same number of wires (similar colours) as an MGB setup so although the switch looks different it is probably wired similarly.

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

interesting! it sounds like it's most likely a faulty switch in that case rather than some dodgy wiring by the sparky.

im loathe to call the garage up as if they send the sparky round and its a problem with the switch theyll most likely want to charge me (even though they should have told me it was faulty when trying to install).

is there any way to test the switch with a multimeter that you know of beero?
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Assuming it is similar to the MGB switch, there are 5 wires. Purple is the feed in for the hazard relay (which is probably built in to your switch) There should be a green/white which goes to your ns indicator lamps, a green/red to your os indicator lamps.
The other two wires should be green and they will be in and out to your indicator relay feed. The auto electrician would have cut the green feed to your indicator relay and connected the 2 ends to these. They are the ones you need to test with a meter. They should be open circuit when the hazard switch is on and closed when hazard switch is off.
If you have no luck tell me what the colours are and what colours they are connected to behind the dash and we can try and work it out from there.
see diagram from my MGB
Attachments
indicator hazard cct.png
indicator hazard cct.png (12.64 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

many many thanks mate. after me routing around trying to test with a multimeter the indicators started to work correctly. now no longer need to engage the hazards before the indicators start working! must have been a faulty connection somewhere or just the unit being not ready for the real world temporarily.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Good that you have sorted it, John