Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
53lake
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller Load Bay

Post by 53lake »

I'm about to install new Hardura in my '68 Traveller. Material came from ESM, I believe Newton Commercial.
The wheel arch pieces look far thicker than the old stuff I removed. To get them to go down smooth without leaving wrinkles, I think I'll need to glue them down using contact adhesive. I can't tell if the original was glued or not. Anyone have an idea?
I think the flat area is held down well enough with the aluminum strips and screws around the edges, don't think glue is necessary there, or perhaps it does?
Thanks for any advice.
arjay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller Load Bay

Post by arjay »

I had to use glue on the wheel arches but not necessary on the floor. Still all there after 30 years.
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ndevans »

Yes, same here, contact adhesive on the wheel arches, but the aluminium strips hold the floor area down well enough. It's quite tricky getting the wheel arch strips to lie flat, mine still aren't quite right, but pass a casual glance well enough.
I've also got two extra aluminium strips in my boot floor. Could never understand why, until my dad admitted to putting them in himself!
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
53lake
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by 53lake »

Thanks for the replies!
As contact adhesive is unforgiving, with only one chance to get it positioned right, I've thought a bit more about this.

The sewed seam on the wheel arch pieces is quite thick, and I realized it's important to have it lying flat in only one direction so that from the top, the seam stitches are hidden underneath. The other way, the stiches will face up and will collect dirt. So I've bought a seam roller like you'd use for wallpaper, and intend to glue the inside of the seam first, forcing it to lie flat in only one direction. When that's dry, I'll glue the top surface of the arch first, let that dry, then glue the vertical wall pulling it down hard as I go.
Well, that's the plan anyway!