Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

HIF fuel pipe conundrum

Post by Mr Spigot »

I am in the process of fitting an HIF carburettor but have a conundrum with the fuel inlet pipe. It has a captive securing nut which was presumably originally to fit a mating fuel pipe to - see photo. I have no idea what car it originally came off. I had intended to try and cut the nut off so that I can fit a pipe over the 'olive' and secure with jubilee clips. However, it occurred to me that it might be easier to take the 'olive' off the pipe so I can the slip the nut off.
My question is, is the 'olive' a compression fit over the brass tube, as in domestic plumbing, or is it cast into the pipe? If the former, I should be able to file a flat across it and then prise it off to release the nut. If the latter, I am back to either cutting the nut off, or trying to find a pipe adaptor fitting to secure the new inlet tube to.

Any advice welcome!
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4113.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4113.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577 - owned since 1990
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305 - owned since 2023
daveejhitchins
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: HIF fuel pipe conundrum

Post by daveejhitchins »

The olive is a compression fit - just like copper plumbing olives.

Dave H.
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Many thanks. Just what I needed to know! Mission accomplished! Now to fit it and connect it all up!
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4117.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4117.jpg (89.96 KiB) Viewed 984 times
thumbnail_IMG_4116.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4116.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 984 times
thumbnail_IMG_4115.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4115.jpg (66.26 KiB) Viewed 984 times
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Double post?
Last edited by oliver90owner on Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I would recommend against fitting fuel pipes on parallel connectors with a jubilee clip.

While it was not a jubilee-clipped pipe, In 1977 I suffered a fuel pipe disconnection from a carburettor body, while travelling at very high speed on a motorway. At over 3000 strokes per minute, the fuel pump dispensed a huge amount of fuel before the engine stopped (after immediate switch off). We were lucky there was no fire/explosion!
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

The standard pipe fittings on the fuel pump outlet are held by jubilee/hose clips so I would be surprised if they were not safe if properly fitted. I have used jubilee/hose clips for over 40 years without any problems. High speed use/racing may require something else. What alternatives would you suggest?
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Mr Spigot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:38 pm The standard pipe fittings on the fuel pump outlet are held by jubilee/hose clips so I would be surprised if they were not safe if properly fitted. I have used jubilee/hose clips for over 40 years without any problems. High speed use/racing may require something else. What alternatives would you suggest?
Most sensible fuel pipes (which do not use olives or a suitable means of leak prevention) have an expanded part such that a jubilee clip will clamp the pipe beyond that expanded part - thereby preventing the pipe ever slipping off while the jubilee clip is sufficiently tightened.

My suggestion would be the same as you have recently removed from that pipe, with a proper serrated nipple affixed, to enable safe connection to a flexible pipe.

I have related the risk. It is up to you whether you take heed. A car is not like a lowly lawnmower or garden cultivator, where you can remove yourself to a safe distance in the case of a fuel leak/fire. There is proper fitting and bodging. I would place your choice in the latter category.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

oliver90owner wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:27 pm
Mr Spigot wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:38 pm The standard pipe fittings on the fuel pump outlet are held by jubilee/hose clips so I would be surprised if they were not safe if properly fitted. I have used jubilee/hose clips for over 40 years without any problems. High speed use/racing may require something else. What alternatives would you suggest?
Most sensible fuel pipes (which do not use olives or a suitable means of leak prevention) have an expanded part such that a jubilee clip will clamp the pipe beyond that expanded part - thereby preventing the pipe ever slipping off while the jubilee clip is sufficiently tightened.

My suggestion would be the same as you have recently removed from that pipe, with a proper serrated nipple affixed, to enable safe connection to a flexible pipe.

I have related the risk. It is up to you whether you take heed. A car is not like a lowly lawnmower or garden cultivator, where you can remove yourself to a safe distance in the case of a fuel leak/fire. There is proper fitting and bodging. I would place your choice in the latter category.
What you say makes sense but the fact is, the standard HS2 carburettor on a Minor has a parallel fuel pipe spigot and the flexible pipe is secured with a jubilee clip. I can't disagree that it could be done better but the standard SU fuel pump is a low pressure pump after all.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen