Custom and modified minors

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jonathon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Custom and modified minors

Post by jonathon »

I've heard through the grape vine that custom and modified minors are to feature at a forthcomming classic car show. I believe the club are involved in obtaining the required car line up. Has anyone any more info on this show( don't know which, or where it is). Looks like a positive step forward for the club,by including this aspect of minor development.
Who has been invited to exhibit and is the full range of modification/customisation catered for?. I'm suprised this forum has not picked up on this positive event :wink: :D

RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

John

I assume you are referring the Claissic Car Show at the NEC in November 4-6/11/2005.

We at the Minor LCV Register also have stand

See ya all there
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

I'm not sure, it seems to fit the bill, but I won't be there,as no invite has been offered,neh mind ehh! :( 8)

RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Not sure how the MMOC pick exhibtors..................we have a stand for 4 LCVs on the Minor LCV Reg, so by compairisions to the MMOC ours is small.

E-mail someone...............I am sure they will tell you how they chose or advertised?
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Not being a club member I'm out of the loop a bit as to whom I should contact. Suppose really , I' a bit narked that the K series and JLH mods have yet again been ignored by the official line. I had thought that these mods were the most current examples of modification offered by the trade. Maybe I'm just wrong ? :-? 8)

Onne

Post by Onne »

Or it's jealousy
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

:D :D probably. No not really I'm very pleased that modified and custom are being recognised, and even more pleased for those who are asked to take part. Have a good day :wink: :D

Cam

Post by Cam »

jonathon wrote:Not being a club member I'm out of the loop a bit as to whom I should contact. Suppose really , I' a bit narked that the K series and JLH mods have yet again been ignored by the official line. I had thought that these mods were the most current examples of modification offered by the trade. Maybe I'm just wrong ? :-? 8)
Yes, the K-series conversion should be right at the front of the display! Perhaps the club have overlooked it as with you not being a member and an active one they are ignorant of happenings.

I think joining the club and having a positive influence from the inside might be a good idea, if it does not compromise your ideals too much! :wink:
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Cheers Cam, I'll review my stance with the club and decide when I get back from my holiday 8) :D

Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Cheers Cam, I'll review my stance with the club and decide when I get back from my holiday
Blimey - anyone would think the MMOC was an exclusive members only club with a two year waiting list the way you talk! :lol: It's only £18 a year to be a member - and you can probably claim the cost against tax! :wink:
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

There are, I would imagine, some good reasons for Jonathon NOT having re-joined..
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

It may be being done a bit cloak and dagger style, remember the selection for the commonwealth games.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

You may (but probably not!!), have noticed my absence from the board for a time. Sorry, things got a little hectic.

However Jonathon, in answer to your query, Barrie McKenzie is the Classic Car Show Organiser responsible for the MMOC stand at the NEC. Although I believe you are still not a member, perhaps you might like to speak him about your concern.

In relation to this show, you may remember my posting as follows:

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 09:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having attended the Liaison Meeting prior to the MMOC AGM, and also having read an article in a recent branch newsletter, I am of the opinion that there may be some misunderstandings in respect of Concours within our club which need clarification.

Firstly, it appears that within certain quarters there is a view that a degree of elitism exists in respect of those involved in Concours, and that these people have no time for other aspects of Minor ownership. Also that everything revolves around concours. This could not be further from the truth, and it is exactly this kind of misconception that I have been trying hard to dispel in my time as Chief Judge, fortunately with some success I feel. In my view concours is simply another form of Minor ownership in which certain members have a particular interest and therefore should be regarded in exactly the same manner.

Another misconception appears to exist in relation to the MMOC stand at the NEC. This seems to revolve around the idea that those involved in concours want it to be soley reserved for concours cars. Again this could not be further from the truth.

As you may know, I took over the position as MMOC Chief Concours Judge in 2001, having personally competed at concours level for a number of years and finally attaining Grand Masters status in 2000. Until this time it had been normal practice for the Club to hold their Concours Final at the NEC Classic Motor Show, whilst the Barnsley Branch of the MMOC had their own separate stand. Having the view that all interests within the MMOC should be valued equally and not treated as factions, and wanting to show this to the general public, instead of what I considered to be a devisive two stand show I suggested a combined stand to include a themed section and a concours final. This suggestion was realised in the 2001 show and the club immediately won Best Club Stand. This combined stand continued in 2002 and 2003 with great success in all respects, public support, the signing up of new members, renewals, considerable regalia sales etc and also a further win, on that occasion as runner up. Unfortunately however it was decided that for the 2004 show concours cars would not be involved.

Now whilst I personally feel that concours cars should return to the NEC, in no way do I want this to be at the exclusion of others. It should certainly not be reserved for their exclusive use. Yes, I have an interest in concours examples, but equally I enjoy using a Morris Minor as everyday transport, and feel that the whole club should be represented at the NEC no matter what the individuals particular interest. In fact, for exactly this reason. I find it more than a little ironic that it is those interested in concours that now appear to be excluded.

With best regards to ALL Minor enthusiasts,

Bill Hewlett

MMOC Chief Concours Judge & Interim Committee Member.

Just for information, Rosie Hamilton was, I believe, responsible for selecting the cars for the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony (as she is for the Lord Mayors Parade entries) and would therefore suggest that if anyone has concerns over these events that they speak to her directly. I am sure she would be happy to answer your queries.

Bill.
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Bill,
I am in complete agreement with what you have said here regarding the NEC show. What was the reason for the Barnsley branch having a seperate stand ?. I believe that these high profile shows should display the full range of Minors,as does the National Rally. The point I was a little annoyed at was that the most recent developments in the modified/custom section were being overlooked or deliberately ignored again. I am not yet a club member as I have several major disagreements in how the club has and is run, and its inability to realise a pro active roll in the protection of its members against un srupulous traders. Yes I am dissapointed that yet again our products are overlooked, I'm certainly not 'jealous' as has been suggested. I hope the show is a great success for those who are represented,and that next year the Concours finals can be re introduced to their rightfull place. The best possible examples of the standard minor should be seen at this level of show, along with the best possible examples of 'used' everyday cars LCV's and modified and custom.

iwsmithy
Minor Friendly

Post by iwsmithy »

Jonathan,

As you are aware, I have been asked by Barrie McKenzie to exhibit on the stand with my Crew Cab pickup. He only contacted me by reading a snippet in the club mag about the unveiling of the crew-cab at the Isle of Wight Rally, and traced me through the Owners Club.
Other entrants include Joy Raineys rally car, Robin Beardmores Convertible and Malcolm Motlers Drag racer. The list of other exhibitors I have are stated as only "modified" or "racing car" so I don't know if any K series cars are there.

If you are not a MMOC member you can't really complain about not being invited onto the MMOC stand. Join up and give Barrie a ring to see if there is a K series on the stand, and if not, get yours up there. I never thought the MMOC would have a stand dedicated totally to Custom/Modified Minors so am particularly pleased that it is happening this year.
[img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/minorsite-iw/images/1-picture1.jpg[/img][img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/minorsite-iw/images/7-picture6.jpg?0.448427297884753[/img]
IWsmithy.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Yes, you are right, I cannot really complain, if I'm not a member of the club. So I won't mention it again. I am also aware as to how you were approached to exhibit. Unless there are private individuals who have fitted the K series, then this development will not be represented.Maybe something for the future.
I hope you and all of the other exhibitors have a great show

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

jonathon wrote:I believe that these high profile shows should display the full range of Minors,
This is exactly the view I myself have expressed on many, many occasions. However unlike a number of other car clubs, and of course Autoglym, it appears that unless funded by outside sponsors etc (or perhaps at memberships request?), the MMOC Concours Final will no longer take place at the NEC. This unfotunately means that some of the clubs finest Concours examples of the marque will no longer be seen by the general public visiting the event. :cry:

Bill
iwsmithy
Minor Friendly

Post by iwsmithy »

But do the public want to see the best concours examples? My own personal opinion is that there is nothing more boring than a line of pristine Morris Minors, and believe me I love Minors (I currently own 5 1/2) It is only the diversity of Custom/modified and commercial varients that add interest in my opinion.

Last week I displayed the 4 door Minor crew-cab and the half size Minor pickup with half a dozen other Minors, and to be honest, the standard Minors could have been on fire and they wouldn't of attracted as much interest.

Each to their own and all that..concours cars continue the purity of the breed...and customisers bring the car up to date.....but I feel it is a breath of fresh air to have a stand of Custom/modified cars representing the MMOC.
[img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/minorsite-iw/images/1-picture1.jpg[/img][img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/minorsite-iw/images/7-picture6.jpg?0.448427297884753[/img]
IWsmithy.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

iwsmithy wrote:But do the public want to see the best concours examples?
I think you may have misunderstood my meaning. What I have always stressed is that there should be a balance which accurately reflects the wide diversity of interests within the club, hence my original suggestion to combine both the Barnsley stand with the Concours Final.

Failing the above, due to financial constraints, I have suggested various alternatives, ie concours cars combining with others on a club stand, alternating the club stand with the Concours Final etc. All unfortunately to no avail, which has now resulted in no Concours cars being present at the NEC.

I like to think that I view all aspects of our club equally, and have therefore always supported the showing of all kinds examples of the marque at shows. I will continue to do this, but am naturally disappointed
that Concours apparently has no place amongst these.

As for your question, perhaps users of the Messageboard would like to give their views?
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

iwsmithy wrote:But do the public want to see the best concours examples?
Judge wrote:As for your question, perhaps users of the Messageboard would like to give their views?
On the assumption that I am a member of the general public, then yes, I do, very much. I ALSO want to see the Modded and Customs too though!
Last edited by bigginger on Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.