Re: Starter motor not engaging

Post by Emleyowl »

Cheers.I will try that tomorrow
Emleyowl
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Emleyowl »

ESM have emailed me back advising me to try copper slip on it and if that doesn't work they will replace it.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The Bendix has to work freely before putting any copper slip on the Bendix or starter shaft - applying copper slip is a post freeing exercise.
Any lubricant applied to the Bendix will only result in clutch wear powder attaching its self to the Bendix and ultimately causing it to stick.
The Bendix must be free to turn/move with or without lubricant.

Emleyowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Emleyowl »

I did as they said and applied copper slip.the Bendix is still not totally free and seems to stick at the top of its run.I reckon that's why it not engaging on the second attempt.on refitting it started first time but not after that.It looks like I will have to try a replacement.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

The new starter arrived today (from ESM). After removing the existing one, which had behaved perfectly since cleaning the Bendix drive for the second time a couple of days ago, the Bendix was again slightly notchy. In comparison with the new one, the Bendix is generally worn, and I just wonder if the internal wear is causing the 'dust' that causes the Bendix to stick?

The new one was smooth throughout its travel, but has 9T like the very original one, so cranks over slightly slower, but works and starts perfectly.

A new starter should not need any lubricant, so I would think it should go back for an immediate exchange.
Last edited by IslipMinor on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Emleyowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Emleyowl »

That is what I intend to do.I shall report further when it arrives.cheers for the help
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very bad advice to 'apply copperslip' - (or anything else for that matter) - it must be clean and dry. Any oil/grease etc just attracts dirt and makes a sticky grinding paste........ A good clean with say 'carb and choke spray' - will clear the bendix - but then make sure it is wiped dry and running freely before fitting. Copperslip is in any case not a lubricant - it is an anti seize compound designed to prevent screw threads rusting together - and so making future release much easier.
ImageImage
Emleyowl
Minor Friendly

Re: Starter motor not engaging(sorted)

Post by Emleyowl »

Took the starter off 3 times this morning applied copper s!ip then wd40 and pushed it up and down for about 10 minutes each time then cleaned off with brake cleaner.started it a dozen times without sticking.hopefully that will sort it.now I just need to get the engine running as I must have flooded it with all the attempts.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The WD40 may have done th trick....to clear out any dirt. And you have said you started it a dozen times - so why will it not start now ??
ImageImage
Emleyowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Emleyowl »

It wouldn't fire up and on inspection I found the wire that goes into the distributor cap had broken off.probably when removing the starter motor one of the many times.put a new spade connector on and she is firing up fine every time so all is well thanks.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done!
ImageImage