Chassis number location 1966 convertible

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MichaelSimpkin
MMOC Member: No

Chassis number location 1966 convertible

Post by MichaelSimpkin »

Hi all, new to the Morris Minor forum and ownership. Just about to buy a 1966 convertible for my daughter, it’s had loads of Charles Ware work, chassis, full Newton interior, servo disc brakes, f&r seatbelts, alternator, electronic dizzy but needs bodywork and paint re spray. It’s a genuine convertible with the MAT chassis number. It has the aluminium chassis plate but I’ve been told that there should be a number stamped into the bulkhead to the left of the battery, as you face it but I cannot find any trace of it, is this correct or should have the plate, only. Many thanks in advance and who would you recommend for paint and bodywork?
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Chassis number location 1966 convertible

Post by svenedin »

The body number is stamped on the right hand side of the bulkhead as you face it. It isn’t very obvious

I have looked and I do not have a suitable photo so I will go and take one now.......
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

By 1966 I believe the position of the stamped chassis number had moved to the front floor as pictured below.
chassis no  white car.JPG
chassis no white car.JPG (250.79 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Here you are (somewhat ashamed of my rust bucket.....). My car is a 1969 genuine convertible. I presume this is the number you refer to as being on the bulkhead in addition the the chassis number plate. The "T" in that number denotes tourer.
IMG_8791.jpeg
IMG_8791.jpeg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 1841 times
IMG_8792.jpeg
IMG_8792.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 1841 times

Stephen
MichaelSimpkin

Post by MichaelSimpkin »

Thank you for your replies. The car has got a new floor but I didn't lift the carpet, it’s got all new carpet and underlay/insulation/sound deadening. I wonder if Charles Ware kept the metal of the original number to refit, 🤔? I found the other long thin plate but the numbers didn’t seem correspond to the chassis number but I will recheck. Many thanks.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

MichaelSimpkin wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:48 am Thank you for your replies. The car has got a new floor but I didn't lift the carpet, it’s got all new carpet and underlay/insulation/sound deadening. I wonder if Charles Ware kept the metal of the original number to refit, 🤔? I found the other long thin plate but the numbers didn’t seem correspond to the chassis number but I will recheck. Many thanks.
No the other long plate is the body number not the chassis number. That number is listed on a Heritage Certificate if the car has one.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

svenedin wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:40 pm Here you are (somewhat ashamed of my rust bucket.....). My car is a 1969 genuine convertible. I presume this is the number you refer to as being on the bulkhead in addition the the chassis number plate. The "T" in that number denotes tourer.
If T is for tourer What would R stand for before number?
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The Car/Body number was moved from the engine bulkhead to the driver's (RH) floor pan when the Elephant Trunk heater was put through the bulkhead in 1963 ish.
So of course many later cars have lost the stamped number when the floor has been replaced.

As regards the other numbers on the top thin long plates, see some of the detail given here:
viewtopic.php?p=627891#p627891

That answers the 'What's a R for question...'
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Bill_qaz wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:53 pm [quote=svenedin I presume this is the number you refer to as being on the bulkhead in addition the the chassis number plate. The "T" in that number denotes tourer.
[/quote]

Bill, Are you getting confused between the Chassis number and the Body number? "T" denotes Tourer in the chassis number prefix. I have never seen an "R" in the chassis number.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

geoberni wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:58 pm The Car/Body number was moved from the engine bulkhead to the driver's (RH) floor pan when the Elephant Trunk heater was put through the bulkhead in 1963 ish.
The change took place later than that. I have a 1965 car with the later dashboard/black speedo and flick switches which has the chassis number stamped into the bulkhead, not the floor :wink: .
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:53 pm
Bill_qaz wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:53 pm [quote=svenedin I presume this is the number you refer to as being on the bulkhead in addition the the chassis number plate. The "T" in that number denotes tourer.
Bill, Are you getting confused between the Chassis number and the Body number? "T" denotes Tourer in the chassis number prefix. I have never seen an "R" in the chassis number.
[/quote]

The plate on left bulkhead ( right as viewed in your picture) shows a number beginning with a T. That's not your chassis number is it? My plate in same position has R****** not my chassis number.
hence my question but just seen in the answer in the link to topic R = 4door :tu1:
Last edited by Bill_qaz on Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:58 pm
geoberni wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:58 pm The Car/Body number was moved from the engine bulkhead to the driver's (RH) floor pan when the Elephant Trunk heater was put through the bulkhead in 1963 ish.
The change took place later than that. I have a 1965 car with the later dashboard/black speedo and flick switches which has the chassis number stamped into the bulkhead, not the floor :wink: .
Interesting, beyond my personal experience as Basil is a SII.
I was just quoting what I had read in Ray Newell's 'Original Morris Minor'.
He says, 'Making a hole in the bulkhead for the new ducting forced a change in the position of the chassis number stamped into the body. On post 1963, etc etc'
Clearly it must've taken them a couple of years to decide on it. :roll: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

So of course many later cars have lost the stamped number when the floor has been replaced.

As regards the other numbers on the top thin long plates, see some of the detail given here:

Thank you Geoberni :tu1:
Regards Bill
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:58 pm
Does the body prefix begin Z3488x or Z3605x?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

5yr old info, few more amendments to add....
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!